Information for host institutions
A host institution is the institution where the applicant will hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship.
Please refer to Eligibility section for host institution eligibility regulations.
Host institutions play a critical role in the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program and should endorse only the highest-calibre postdoctoral researchers. Host institutions are encouraged to consider diversity in discipline, gender, official language, and citizenship when considering which applicants to endorse for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program. There is no set cap on the number of applicants an institution can endorse. However, given the level of collaboration required between host institutions and applicants, the rigour of the selection process and the fact that only 70 fellowships are awarded per year, institutions are expected to be highly selective and limit the number of applications they endorse.
Host institutions must collaborate with applicants and provide evidence of the following:
- the institution's strategic use of the proposed research program
- institutional support for the proposed research program
- the institution's commitment to developing the research and leadership potential of the applicant
- positioning the candidate for leadership in a research-intensive career
Host institutions must provide applicants with two documents to support their application:
- An institutional letter of endorsement
- Supervisor's statement
For more information on these documents, please refer to the appropriate sections in Enter proposal information and supporting documents.
The candidate and supervisor must carefully consider which selection committee should review the application. For more details, please see Identify area of research.
From the onset of the application process, applicants and host institutions should discuss:
- the details of the fellowship appointment
- any benefits offered
- any financial obligations associated with the appointment (union dues, insurance premiums, etc.)
- the availability of any research and/or other support
- the rights and responsibilities of postdoctoral fellows
- any other institution-specific policies that might apply to the Banting Fellow
Fellowships are paid either through the host institution (in most cases in Canada) or directly to the fellow.
For more information on award administration, please refer to Holding a Fellowship.
- Date modified: