Review process overview
All eligible applications to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) program undergo an evaluation by a selection committee from one of the three federal granting agencies: the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC).
Applications are reviewed against three (3) equally weighted selection criteria, and ranked.
The ranked list of all the applications is submitted to the Tri-Agency Programs (TAP) Steering Committee for their approval.
The TAP Steering Committee, made up of the presidents of the three federal granting agencies and the deputy ministers of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada and of Health Canada, approves the final slate of 70 awardees annually.
- Applicant’s research excellence and leadership in the research domain:
- demonstrated capacity for research excellence based on track record as defined by the quality of the applicant's research contribution; and
- demonstrated capacity for leadership in the research domain as defined by the sphere of influence achieved to date by the applicant.
- Quality of applicant's proposed research program:
- potential of the proposed research program, executed in the proposed institutional environment, to position the applicant to have significant impact through a research-intensive career.
- Institutional commitment and demonstrated synergy between applicant and institutional strategic priorities:
- demonstrated commitment of the institution to champion the development of the applicant's research and leadership capacity through support (funding, facilities, equipment, etc.) and professional development;
- institution’s research capacity (demonstrated or potential) in the research area of the applicant’s proposed research program, which will enable the institution to provide an intellectually stimulating environment to position the applicant as a research leader; and
- demonstrated alignment and synergy between the applicant's research ambitions and the institution's potential to benefit strategically from engaging with the applicant.
Administration Vanier-Banting Secretariat
The Vanier-Banting Secretariat, which is housed at CIHR, is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the Banting PDF program.
Review Selection committee
All eligible applications to the Banting PDF program undergo an evaluation by an agency-specific (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC) selection committee. Applications are assigned to one of these committees based on the proposed area of research identified by the applicant as part of their application.
For more information, please refer to Selecting the Appropriate Federal Granting Agency.
The selection committees review applications in relation to the stated selection criteria, and each committee recommends the 23 or, in the case of the committee awarding the 70th fellowship, 24 most meritorious applicants based on those criteria.
Members of the selection committees are appointed based on their leadership, research excellence, and review experience. Committees are also structured to ensure representation, per the committee member selection criteria.
The lists of members who served on the 2019-2020 Banting PDF agency-specific selection committees are available through the following links:
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
Approval Tri-Agency Programs (TAP) Steering Committee
The Tri-Agency Programs (TAP) Steering Committee, made up of the presidents of the three federal granting agencies and the deputy ministers of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada and of Health Canada, makes the final decision pertaining to the recommendations for Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships.
Each year, the TAP Steering Committee approves 70 recipients that have been recommended by the selection committees.
|Early October||Application deadline; applications are received.|
|October and November||Applications are reviewed for eligibility and assigned to reviewers.|
|November||Applications are evaluated by reviewers and readers.|
|December||Selection committees meet to discuss applications and finalize their recommendations.|
|January||Tri-Agency Programs Steering Committee meets to approve the ranked list of applications recommended by the selection committees.|
|February||Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program applicants are notified of their results in the competition.|
|April to October||Tenure of fellowships begins.|
Notification of decision
Following approval by the TAP Steering Committee, the Vanier-Banting Secretariat notifies applicants of the results of their application by posting a decision letter to their ResearchNet account.
The names of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellows and other basic award information will be published on the Banting PDF website.
For more information on the posting of and access to information, please refer to the Access to Information Act and the Privacy Act.
- Date modified: