Review process overview
All applications to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program will undergo an evaluation by an agency-specific selection committee.
Applications will be reviewed against the 3 equally weighted selection criteria, and ranked.
The ranked list of all the applications will be submitted to the Tri-agency programs steering committee for their approval.
The Tri-agency programs steering committee, made up of the presidents of the three federal granting agencies, and the deputy ministers of Industry Canada and Health Canada, will approve the final slate of 70 awardees annually.
- Research excellence and leadership in the research domain – demonstrated capacity for research excellence based on track record as defined by quality of applicant's research contribution, and demonstrated capacity for leadership in the research domain defined by the sphere of influence achieved to date by the applicant.
- Quality of applicant's proposed research program – examined in terms of the potential of the proposed research program, executed in the proposed institutional environment, to position the applicant for significant impact through a research-intensive career (potential for significant impact).
- Institutional commitment and demonstrated synergy between applicant and institutional strategic priorities
- Demonstrated commitment of the institution to support development of the applicant's research and leadership capacity through institutional support (funding, facilities, equipment, etc.) and professional development
- Demonstrated alignment and synergy between the applicant's research ambitions and the institution's potential to benefit strategically from engagement with the applicant (alignment with institution's strategic priorities)
Administration Vanier-Banting Secretariat
The Vanier-Banting Secretariat, which is housed within the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the program.
Review Selection committee
All applications to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program will undergo an evaluation by an agency-specific selection committee. Applications are assigned to one of these committees based on the proposed area of research identified by the applicant as part of their application. However, the Vanier-Banting Secretariat reserves the right to make the final assignment of applications based on the mandates of the agencies.
For more information, please refer to Selecting the Appropriate Federal Granting Agency.
The selection committees will review applications in relation to the stated selection criteria, and each selection committee will recommend the 23 or 24 most meritorious applicants based on those criteria.
Members of the selection committees are appointed based on their leadership, research excellence and review experience.
The following members served on the 2016–2017 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships agency-specific selection committees:
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
ApprovalTri-agency programs steering committee
The Tri-agency programs steering committee, made up of the presidents of the three federal granting agencies, and the deputy ministers of Industry Canada and Health Canada, makes the final decision pertaining to the recommendations for Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships.
Each year, the Tri-agency programs steering committee approves 70 recipients that have been recommended by the selection committees (for a total of 140 active awards after the first year).
|September||Application deadline – applications are received.|
||Applications are reviewed for eligibility and assigned to reviewers.|
|November||Evaluation of applications by reviewers.|
|December||Selection committees meet to discuss applications and finalize their recommendations.|
|January||The Tri-agency programs steering committee meets to approve the ranked list of applications recommended by the selection committees.|
|February||The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program applicants are notified of their results in the competition.|
|April to October||Tenure of the fellowship may begin.|
Notification of decision
Following approval by the Tri-agency programs steering committee, the Vanier-Banting Secretariat will notify applicants of the results of their application by posting a decision letter to their ResearchNet account.
The names of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellows and other basic award information will be published on the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program website.
For more information on the posting of and access to information, please refer to the Access to Information Act and the Privacy Act.
- Date modified: